earth day mural & book project - ballard library, march 15
this looks cool. it's a really interesting civic project with multiple collaborators.
my understanding of it is this:
- to celebrate this year's earth day, there will be a mural done in ballard that addresses local ecological sustainability.
- the mural's design will be collectively generated at a public meeting at the ballard library as well as on online forums (i'm a bit unsure about the online element of this project).
- the ideas for the mural will be passed on to students at summit high school (i hope some of the high schoolers will be at the public meeting).
- community members, including some from sustainable ballard, will facilitate discussions about local sustainability with students at summit high.
- an art teacher at summit high will work with students who will journal their ideas and experiences (journal in print, journal online, or both?).
- an artist will work with students to design and paint the mural.
- with the help of art press books, an art book that documents the whole mural process will be published.
- community dialogues + high school students and teacher + local organizations, non-profits, and businesses + ecological purpose and vision + community mural = inspired civic action.
by the way, if you live in seattle and have not visited the ballard library, what are you waiting for? a beautiful building, friendly and knowledgeable staff, all kinds of events for community members, teens, and youth, techno-ecological art installations, and a pretty sweet collection of books, magazines, videos, CDs, and dvds. and ... free wireless!